If you have a water meter, and you’ve received a bill which is higher than normal, don’t panic – there is likely to be a simple explanation.
Have you been spending more time at home due to COVID-19?
For example, we've all been spending more time at home over the last few months due to coronavirus and using a lot more water than normal. On average, water use has increased by 30 per cent as many of us are working from home or self-isolating which means you may have seen an increase in your water bill.
Your bill shows your daily average water use compared to previous bills so you’ll see immediately if you’ve been using more water. Don’t forget, when you have a meter you pay for all the water you use so it makes sense not to let it go to waste.
The good news is that it’s really easy to reduce your future water bills by making some simple changes:
- Switch off the tap when you brush your teeth – a family of four can save up to £100 off their annual water bill by not leaving the tap running
- Only switch on the dishwasher and washing machine when you have a full load
- Only fill the kettle for what you need
- Only use the half flush when using the loo, or if you have an older cistern order one of our save-a-flush bags to reduce water use
Visit our water efficiency section for lots more hints and tips on saving water, and you can also order free goodies from us to help you save water around the home.
Other reasons for your bill increase
As well as being at home more during coronavirus, some other reasons why your bill may have increased include:
- Are more people living in your home since your previous bill?
- Have you bought a new appliance that uses water?
- Have you recently returned to your home after living away?
- Have your previous bills have been estimated? (this may also give the impression that your bill has increased because the estimated bill may have been too low)
One of the easiest ways to keep track of your water usage is to log in to My Account and provide frequent meter readings – please click here to register with My Account. This way you can help to avoid estimated bills and also spot if your usage suddenly increases.
If your income has been affected by coronavirus and you’re finding it difficult to pay your water bill please let us know by completing our ‘Struggling to pay’ form.
Still not figured out what could have caused your bill to increase? Then please follow our guide below to help identify the reason.
Please click 'yes' if any of the questions in each topic throughout the guide below applies to you.
- Have you recently moved into a new home with a water meter?